Monday, October 19, 2009

Update from the belly of the beast (aka the junior high school)

So, last week I was really sick, which is unfortunate because it was my first full week living with Jun. Fortunately, it's not the first time she's seen me feverishly rolling around in my own sweat and was a good sport about the whole thing. She even made me soup.

I missed a couple of days of work, which wasn't ideal, and I spent Monday, a holiday, sick. That kinda sucked. Over the weekend, we had planned to meet one of Jun's many international stalkers to show him around parts of Tokyo, but it's hard to do that with a fever and horrible intestinal cramping. It's too bad, because a) he seems like a nice guy, and b) it's harder feel good about hitting on someone's girlfriend from abroad if you've met their boyfriend. The good news is that he sent us some cocktail sauce and wine from Canada, and we had a nice shrimp dinner with the cocktail sauce. It's apparently impossible to buy here, for reasons unknown. The Japanese market is strange in many ways.

So, tonight I'm headed off to the city office to officially change my address and get my new insurance card. I get off work at 4 and they close at five, which is going to make this complicated. I hate complicated. Also, Japanese paperwork is *not* multilingual. This is not the California DMV, where I have my choice of paperwork in 17 languages. This is Japan. I have my choice of Japanese...and Japanese, which is, incidentally, one of the most difficult written languages in the world. They really cotton to foreigners around these parts.

Ashes bio: still in progress. Actually, typing at home is kind of a pain, which is really slowing my progress...need to figure out a way around that.

Signing off. Must work.

*edit* Actually, the paperwork was in Japanese and English. I was a little unfair to the good people at the Foreign Registration desk, which is not cool. I don't want to become another incessantly whining 外人 (foreigner). There are a lot of them.

No comments: