Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Creative energy.

So, I haven't been updating this thing much, largely due to the fact that I am channeling most of my creative energy into a couple of music projects. 

First:  I DJed a couple of weeks ago at a bar in Omotesando.  There weren't a ton of people there, due to the fact that I arranged it a few short days before I actually played didn't have much promotion time.  However, I was trying out some new gear live for the first time, and that's not necessarily the time to be working in front of a lot of people.  In any case, the new stuff worked nicely and I'd call the evening a modest success, technically speaking. 

I recorded the set, and here are the results: 
Part 1:  http://www.mediafire.com/?jn11mtm5qym
Part 2:  http://www.mediafire.com/?gq5n3gywoye

Second:  I am working on an original composition.  Right now it's in the early construction stages...I have a beat.  I have a hook.  I have some harmonization.  I'm working on the bass line.  The next step is to arrange the components and add layers.  I've done remixes, but this is actually *not* my first original composition. 

HERE is my first original composition:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/jrotwmzdquz/New Hope (instrumental).mp3.  I started working on this track when I first got to Tokyo, literally on one of my first few nights in town, when I was couchsurfing and really had no idea what the fuck I'd be doing in a week or two weeks' time.  I haven't really shared this track much, previously, because it feels strangely personal and because I didn't really like it much when I finished it.  Time has brought a little perspective, though, and it is what it is. 

While I'm at it, here is a remix that I made shortly after I composed that last track there:  http://www.mediafire.com/?kdjmbmyza2n.  This track was a lot of fun, although I confess that I'm not entirely satisfied with the final mix.  On a large speaker system, it is definitely lacking punch, for some reason.  I've been meaning to remix the remix, but I haven't gotten around to it.

So, there you have it.  Busy times. 

No comments: