Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The biggest city in the world.

Considering that Tokyo is the largest city in the world, it's surprisingly homogeneous in terms of population. When I lived in Ichikawa and commuted all the way across Tokyo, it was a rare day to see more than 2 or 3 foreigners on the train in any given week.

Contradictorily, I've never spent so much time in the company of people from so many different places. Tonight I went to Akihabara in the company of 3 people: 1 from Australia, 1 from Scotland, and 1 from England. Despite the homogeneity of the population, the foreigners here are from *all* over the world, and in significant quantities. It's really interesting to learn, firsthand, about so many different places, and I often just shut the hell up and sit quietly and listen to the stories told in various, lovely different accents.

On a different subject...last night was interesting. I had a date with a nice Japanese woman, who we will call "J." She lived in Canada for 6 years, so we spoke effortlessly in English, which was nice. I like the fact that she has lived abroad, and, in point of fact, it's a requirement for any serious dating that I may or may not do in Japan.

I've largely avoided dating, thanks to the trauma of my previous relationship, which I have detailed in some depth in this blog. After a lot of reflection, I've concluded that it's not healthy to close myself off to the possibilities here. I'm not seeking anything, but it would be stupid to turn my back on positive situations that present themselves. I'm done closing myself off.

No comments: