Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day 1 on the ground.

Today I rolled around Tokyo by myself. I spent most of my day in Shibuya and Harajuku, both of which are relatively close to my couchsurfing host's house. Doug, my host, has a very nice apartment in Shibuya near the Komazawa Daigaku Station. He's an interesting guy...PhD in chemical engineering, but is currently working from his home as a counselor/life coach. As a couchsurfing host, he's pretty much been awesome, carefully giving me instructions and making sure that I don't get lost. The thing is, of course, that no amount of instruction can prepare you for running around in a city of this size when you are functionally illiterate and have only a basic command of the language. Luckily for me, the Japanese locals have been super accommodating and helpful, which I was told would be the case.

This morning, for example, I was attempting to take the subway to Shibuya Station, a major traffic hub. A very nice young Japanese couple with an utterly adorable toddler noticed that I was clearly having some trouble, and asked me if I need help. I gratefully agreed to accept the assistance, and they showed me which train to ride and where to get off. Later, I failed to figure out how to calculate my own fares, but the old brain kicked in while I was pondering the problem over coffee (of course), and I then easily made my way over to the Meiji jingu (shrine) where the Emporer Meiji was deified after his death in the late 19th century. It was really cool, and I'm feeling now that I can successfully navigate the subways on my own without getting totally lost.

While I was having coffee, I priced french presses, which Starbucks had for 5500 yen...almost exactly $55 at the current conversion rate. I think I'll be waiting until I have an income flow, but I'm pretty sure that I can get it cheaper elsewhere. The dollar is tanking, which sucks, but that will be fine when I start collecting paychecks in yen. Some inflation in the states would actually help out a lot with my student loan debt, so...go inflation.

Doug and I are headed back out to Shibuya for dinner and drinks. Should be a fun night.

Once again, since I am internet-free, I will post this at the next available opportunity.

No comments: